6.07.2007

Serious as a heart attack

So in my last entry, I wrote about how I was a little worried about my mom, going off on her big road trip to Sin City and waiting for a sign from God on how to run her life…well, she got it. And then some.

Two weekends ago, my mom had a mild heart attack. Technically, we’re told, she had a spasm in an artery, which temporarily blocked blood flow to her heart. Either way, it was scary as hell. It turns out the heart attack was caused by some carelessly prescribed migraine medicine, but there was still some damage to the heart and an increased chance of future problems.

I don’t really know what to say about it. I’d like to say I’ve had some sort of life-changing revelation from the whole thing, a renewed appreciation for the mundane details of my every day existence, but I can’t. It was scary, yes. I’d rather not lose my mom just yet, thanks very much. As far as the big picture goes, though, I can’t take it to mean anything special. She’s very lucky, lots of people have heart attacks and don’t make it. At the same time, lots of people have heart attacks—our situation here isn’t unique, it’s not even particularly dramatic or interesting. She got sick, she got better. We’re glad we have her back and relatively healthy, of course. I’m not heartless. I just expected to feel some sort of profound relief after the massive worry? Am I out of my mind?

No comments: